Speaker: Orhan Gazi, Cankaya University, Ankara-Turkey
Course Format: Live Webinar, 8 sessions, one hour per session
Introduction: Forward error correction is a vital process in communication systems. The last channel codes discovered in the research world are the “polar codes” which are adapted to be used in 5G standard. The construction and decoding of polar codes are quite different from the construction and decoding of classical channel nodes. Polar codes are the only codes constructed in a non-trivial manner. The discovery of polar codes can be considered as a breakthrough in coding society. It is clear that future channel codes will follow the logic of polar codes. For this reason, it is critical to learn the encoding and decoding philosophy of the polar codes which is the state of art of the coding world.
- Outline of the topics to be covered: Entropy and Mutual Information
- Philosophy of Polar Codes
- Generator Matrices of Polar Codes
- Polar Encoder Structures
- Recursive Structures for Polar Encoders
- Channel Splitting and Concept of Channel Polarization
- Split Channels
- Calculation of Splitted Channel Capacities
- Polar Decoding
- Polar Decoding for Noiseless Transmission
- Polar Decoding Formulas for Kernel Structure for noisy Transmission
- Successive Cancelation Decoding of Polar Codes
- Polar Encoders and Decoders in 5G New Radio (NR) and Future Channel Codes
Target Audience: Electronic and Communication Engineers, electronic engineers, computer engineers, engineers working in communication industry
Benefits of Attending Course:
1) The participant will have an idea about the state of art polar codes.
2) Polar codes are used in 5G standard; the participant can comprehend the polar code used in 5G standard.
3) The participant will learn successive cancelation decoding of polar codes.
Speaker Bio: Prof. Orhan Gazi is the author of the book “Polar Codes. A Non-Trivial Approach to Channel Coding” which can be reached from https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811307362
The book is selected by IEEE COMSOC as one of the best readings in polar codes, https://www.comsoc.org/publications/best-readings/polar-coding
Prof. Orhan Gazi is the sole author of 10 books written in electrical engineering subjects. Apart from the polar code book, he is the single author of the books “Information Theory for Electrical Engineers” https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811084317 and “Forward Error Correction via Channel Coding” https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030333799. The research area of Prof. Orhan Gazi involves “channel coding”, and “digital communication subjects”. Recently, he focuses on over capacity data transmission using polar codes. He is also interested in practical applications of communication systems involving FPGA devices. He is delivering courses with titles “VHDL circuit design”, “interface design using VHDL for FPGA devices” and “system on chip design”.
Materials to be included: Lecture slides will be provided
Decision Date to run/cancel this course: Tuesday, February 23, 2021