This meeting will feature our annual panel discussion with six independent consultants who will share their experience and ideas on how start and build a consulting practice.
Frederick Beihold, The Black Oak Group. Chairman, Boston Consultants Network
Craig Goldman, CoAutomation
Steve Golson, Trilobyte Systems
Larry Nelson, Nelson Research
Larry Rachman, Innovation Design and Solutions
Moderator: Ronald Goodstein, First Shot Logic Simulation and Design
The panelists will each make introductory remarks, followed by an open discussion. Audience questions and comments are encouraged.
Topics covered will include:
• Should you be a consultant? Pros & cons. Skills, experience, technology, personal preferences
• Specialization vs. generalization
• Business prospecting: sourcing leads; the value of networking
• Proposals, pricing, payment schedule
• On site or off-site
• Finalizing a contract
• Record keeping
• Subcontracting through job shops
• Business structure: Incorporation, sole proprietorship, partnership
• Payment choices: 1099, Corp to Corp, or W2
• Business finances: funding, salaries, operating expenses, benefits, health insurance, retirement
• Your tools vs. client’s tools
• Pitfalls to avoid
This meeting is open to the public. There is no charge for Consultants Network members or employees of Constant Contact. There is a $5 entrance fee for all others. Casual dress. No registration or reservation is required.
The formal meeting starts at 6:30 pm at Constant Contact, 3rd Floor, 1601 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02451. A no-host, pre-meeting dinner will be held at 5:15 pm at Bertucci’s, 475 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451. Panelists, CNET members, guests and visitors are all invited.
Consultants Network meetings generally take place on the fourth Tuesday of each month, but are not held during the summer months.
Please check the Consultants Network website (boston-consult.com) for meeting details and last-minute updates.